top of page
  • Spencer van Vloten

Free Legal & Advocacy Services In Vancouver

Lawyers are expensive! With costs quickly running into the thousands, few people can afford a lawyer without taking a significant financial hit.

Thankfully, there are numerous free legal and advocacy services in Vancouver which can provide you with support.

Find An Advocate Tool

A great starting point for help is PovNet's Find An Advocate tool. This allows you to find nearby support based on the type of help you're looking for, such as legal services, applying for benefits, general information, or something else.

Neighbourhood Houses and Seniors' Centres

Neighbourhood houses and seniors' organizations will often help community members with issues they're having, including if they need an advocate in their corner.

Check to see if there is an organization in your area, because they might be able to help you.

Free Legal and Advocacy Resources

Below you can find some of the organizations which provide legal support, advocacy, or investigate complaints from the public.

Legal resources and services for Indigenous persons ​ | 604-408-2172

Provides free legal advice to people who can’t afford a lawyer | 604-482-3195 |

300 – 845 Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 4Z9

Free support in completing legal forms or preparing for a court appearance | 778-522-2839 |

Low-income women (inclusive of transwomen) in the Downtown Eastside can obtain free legal advocacy in a safe and confidential, women’s only space | 604-331-1407 ext 114 | 101 East Cordova Street, Vancouver, BC, V6A 1K7

Assists with complaints about the administration of government programs and services, such a delay receiving service or a disagreement with a decision made​ | 1-800-567-3247 |

PO Box 9039, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9A5

Advances the interests of groups that are generally unrepresented or underrepresented in issues of major public concern, including helping people make complaints​ | 604-687-3063 |

408-470 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 1V5

Supports young people and their families in dealing with the provincial child and youth welfare system. The Representative is a non-partisan, independent officer of the legislature. | 1-800-476-3933 |

Suite 400, 1019 Wharf Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 2Y9

Monitors seniors’ services and issues in BC, making recommendations to government and service providers to address systemic issues. If you are a senior or have an issue related to seniors you want to report, get in touch with them.​ | 1-877-952-3181 |

6th floor, 1405 Douglas Street, PO Box 9651, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9P4

Brydges Line

A free service available 24-7. You can call 1-866-458-5500 to speak to a lawyer if you are arrested, detained, and under investigation by a law enforcement agency

Low-barrier legal help for 2-Sprit, transgender, and gender non-conforming people | 604-442-4352 |

408-55 Water Street, Private Mailbox #8945, Vancouver, BC, V6B 1A1

Free legal support for young people, with no minimum age to receive help | 778-657-5544 |

102 – 1678 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC, V6J 1X6

Provides free legal support to low-income persons over issues of housing, human rights, workers' rights, sexual harassment, and more​ | 604-685-3425 |

300-1140 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, V6E 4G1

Receives complaints from the public and conducts reviews when complainants are not satisfied with the RCMP’s handling of their complaints. The Commission is not part of the RCMP. | PO Box 1722, Station B, Ottawa, ON, K1P 0B3​​

Features free information on the law in BC in 190 topic areas.​ | 604-687-4680

Income advocacy, planning support, and legal help for people with disabilities. If you need help with disability assistance issues or feel you have been discriminated against due to a disability, they are a great resource. | 236-427-1108 | #1450-605 Robson St., Vancouver, BC, V6B 5J3

Advocacy services for women who require assistance with legal or governmental bodies. Areas of advocacy include issues related to child and family issues, tenancy, benefits, and more. | 604-681-8480 ext 342 |

Multiple locations – contact for a specific one

Free legal services to older adults on a wide range of legal matters | 604-437-1940

1281 W Georgia St Suite 502, Vancouver, BC V6E 3J7

An online directory of Registered Roster Mediators in British Columbia

Offers legal assistance, advice, and representation to low-income and vulnerable people in the Downtown Eastside, with a focus on tenancy and social assistance issues | 604-251-3323 | 542 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC

Provides free legal services to people who need help with a provincial human rights complaint | 604-622-1100 |

300-1140 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, V6H 4G1

Free legal support for low-income people, focusing on assisting individuals and families whose immigration or refugee legal issues aren’t easily served in the traditional legal aid system | 778-372-6583 |

103 – 2610 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, BC, V5N 4L2

Advice and representation for criminal matters, Aboriginal law/Indigenous legal issues, family law matters, child protection, human rights complaints, letters of administration, police complaints

604-778-5421 | | 148 Alexander Street, Vancouver, BC

Provides free legal services to Indigenous clients living in under-served areas of the province where access to legal advice or representation is difficult or non-existent | 1-866-786-0081 |

Self-help guides for BC's judicial review processes. A judicial review's a court action in which a judge reviews the decision of a tribunal or other legal decision-maker for errors or unfairness.

Helps with family and civil law issues, such as separation and divorce

604-660-2084 | 290–800 Hornby Street, Robson Square, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2C5

Provides support, advocacy and resource information to grandparents and other relatives raising a family member’s child as well as to service providers and allies | 604-558-4740

Free legal advice for people who cannot afford a lawyer. UBC law students are supervised by practicing lawyers. | 604-822-5791 | 1822 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1

Provides a range of free legal services. Priority’s given to people with low incomes, but many services are available to all British Columbians. Apply by phone in your community. | 604-408-2172 | 400 – 510 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3A8

Free answers to legal questions | 1-855-875-8867

Information about legal rights for youth in BC

Helps temporary foreign workers with legal issues, particularly in the areas of employment and immigration | 604-669-4482 |

119 West Pender Street, Suite #302, Vancouver, BC, V6B 1S5

The office for your Member of the Legislative Assembly can help resolve issues you are having with provincial government or within the constituency

Legal info, advice, referrals, support, and representation to low-income newcomers | 236-479-7153

The office for your Member of Parliament can help resolve issues you are having with federal government or within the constituency

Helps Indigenous people navigate the criminal justice system in BC, while providing support services for a healthier and more satisfying life free from alcohol, drugs, and violence | 604-985-5355 |

207 – 1999 Marine Drive, North Van, BC, V7P 3J3

You can contact the OPCC to make a complaint against the municipal police | 1-877-999-8707 |

5th Floor, 947 Fort Street, PO Box 9895, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9T8

Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments

Have a problem with your bank? The Ombudsman can help you resolve it. | 1-888-451-4519 |

20 Queen Street West, Suite 2400, PO Box 8, Toronto, ON, M5H 3R3

Helps parents with child protection issues | 604-601-6310

Room 129 - 800 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2C5

Provides free legal services to low-income women dealing with family law issues such as divorce, custody, protection orders, child support, and spousal support | 604-451-7447 |

516 Richards Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 3A2


Provides free legal education and advocacy for BC tenants | 604-255-0546

Provides justice, homelessness, and crime prevention services for Indigenous persons | 604-251-7200 |

Offers legal support to women who have experienced violence or abuse


To find more community resources, click here! Also feel free to email me at

-Spencer van Vloten


bottom of page